Friday, March 4, 2011

Pata, Lucy and Bear! Oh My!


The last weekend of February my girlfriends and I decided it would be good to get out of the house and go to the Zoo. Sometimes it's hard with all of our schedules to find time to hang out with each other, but when we actually get around to it, it really is a fantastic time. So last Saturday, my friend Pata (Patricia) came over to the house and we sat around watching the end of Back to the Future with David while we waiting for the sun to come out and warm our day up. Finally the sun broke out and the clouds parted and what was thought to be an ugly wet day, quickly became a fantastic warm sunny day. So we went to pick up our friend Lucy and head out to the zoo.

In a previous post I had told you about that amazing alligator hat I bought in San Antonio, yes I am a hat connoisseur and I thought it would be best to bring my hat with me to the zoo. Why? Well, because I knew they wouldn't sell a hat as awesome as this at the zoo and two, because I wanted to walk around looking so awesome with my amazing hat and have all those snotty little kids be jealous of me with my hat. And guess what, they totally were! I knew it, kids would point and me and say I want an alligator hat.. Well guess what kid, you can't have one. Sorry, but that's the lesson of life, you can't always get what you want.
Now besides me taunting little children with the excitement of me having such a great hat, we did happen to see lots of other things too. We saw the creation of life between two turtles. It was quite awkward and a little surprising, but it's nature. We also got to hear a Lion roar. I have never heard it before, and yes it is very loud. We got to see a pig get a back massage and we went to the petting zoo where our new friend not only ate all the food we had, but the paper bag as well.

Once we realized that we had finished the tour of the zoo and had seen everything there was to see, we starting winding things down. And that is when I saw something that made me look at motherhood and say "bring it!" A mother was walking along with her daughter that seemed to be between the ages of 3 and 4. While the girl was slightly running, she tripped and fell on her hands and knees. Her first reaction was to open her mouth and make an attempt of a quite cry. Then she was able to breathe in and that is when the howling started. The mom's first instinct was to pick her up and as she proceeded to pick her up, the little girl went to the bathroom all over herself and her mother. Yes, it was horrible to watch. Yes, I didn't know whether to look away or just stare. But it reminded me. Of the time when I was a nanny, and one of the boys I was watching decided to go to the bathroom while in a candy shop. And what did I do? I made him pack up his candy, took him to the car and had him change in the car into dry clothes. Why? because I was prepared. Yes, when I had to take care of kids, there was always an over-sized beach towel, a regular towel, unlimited amount of baby wipes, a box full of different snacks, bug spray, itch relief, a kite, bathing suits and yes, and extra pair of clothes. Not just for them, but for me as well. And what do you thin having all of that did for me? It gave me relief because when something happened I had it under control.
So yes, the zoo was an important wonderful day filled with memories that I will cherish forever. And yes every little child I passed was jealous of my hat while I stood proud and held my head high. But most of all I saw motherhood in the face, and told them to bring it. Because one day in the future, it will be me at the zoo, and I will be the one with a child who pissed them self, and I will be the one laughing but I got it under control.
(Note to self: Future Elizabeth, you have every right to read this post in the future, shake your head in disappointment and rewrite a new post of how very wrong you are)

No comments:

Post a Comment