Monday, July 19, 2010

My Dad is old(er).


On Sunday, July 18th - my dad turned 50. If you asked me 6 years ago about turning 50- I would have said "OMG! that is, like, so crazy old." But now that I am half his age, plus one, I do not think that 50 is old any more. I now view 50 as older. So now my dad is older, and I'm super happy for him. I think he's done a pretty good job getting to 50. His daughter is all grown up and married off. He doesn't have to pay for me any more since my husband does a good job about that. His son is about to go and become a man and grow up (move out of the house). And he has a wonderful wife that nags him just enough to not be annoying and buys him cool stuff. All in all- I personally think that is a pretty good job and a great place to be at 50.

So what do you do for a man that is in a great place in his life and has everything he needs? My mom found the perfect answer. She surprised him by getting him a Hot Air Balloon ride. I know, I am jealous too. She has been planning this for such a long time and saving her pennies like a good wife, to get him this big gift. So the day before his birthday he got to open his present that clued him in on this wonderful flight. The only problem was that Balloon rides are not cheap. So my mom could only afford to let him go by himself. I just kept wishing that my mom would be able to go with him. So, the next morning they woke up before the sun did, and drove down to San Marcos. They showed up right on time and for some reason, two other people that planned to join this 6 person flight- didn't show up - so guess who got to ride in that balloon for free? Yep, my mom! And only she would get in trouble for using her phone for texting when the balloon got low enough to reach cell service.

Now the directions I was given, was to meet my dad at 7.30 when he landed- but for some reason my mom wouldn't answer her phone. ( I didn't know she was on the balloon) So my Uncle Hector called me to fill me in. I had to drive down 35 to San Marcos and all of a sudden I look to the left and see the Balloon. We had to chase it down to the field it was going to land in. At one point their balloon went right over me while I was honking my horn to get their attention. The best part of this whole thing was to see how big of a smile my dad had. It was like he had this energy inside that I have never seen. He was actually giddy! My mom was a little shaken up but was happy to be on the ground and have cell service. It was such a fun morning and continued through out the day.
So we went to the ceremony where my parents were certified in flying in a balloon. They thanked the Hot Air Balloon 'Gods' and we were on our way back to San Antonio. We got to see my grandparents and show them pictures of my parent's adventure. Then it was off to my Dad's birthday lunch. I of course got lost along the way and tried to stay in a happy mood. (I forgot to tell you that I am sunburned and am not happy that I have pain no matter which way I move. You know that color of a lobster when it's cooked? I look like that.) I got to see so many wonderful people that have been part of my dad's life and been around for me growing up - and you know what? They were more concerned of how David is doing that me! Can you believe that! Everyone loves him and wants to know about David- what am I? Chopped Liver? -Anyway, after I remember that my birthday has already passed, and it's my Dad's wonderful day, I had a delicious margarita and enjoyed my time with my family.

So like I was saying before, I think that my dad has done a great job getting to the big 5-0. As I sat at that table with all of his friends, I realized that he did this 'living life' thing right. He has great friends that he has kept with him through so many years. New friends that have come along the way. He's chosen his battles and focused on what is important in life. He has a wife and 2 children that love him very much and he's good about paying his taxes. So that really is the American Dream in my eyes. I don't know if he saw his life headed to where he is now, but I know that if I can be where he is in 24 years, I would know that I did everything just right.
Happy Birthday Dad!
Loves You!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment