Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happy Hanukkah!!!


Hanukkah in 2009 actually starts at sundown on Friday December 11. Unfortunately, David and I could not celebrate on that date, and since we are not Jewish we decided to have our own Hanukkah dinner on Saturday.
I announced on a earlier update that we had won a TV and gift card, and I knew exactly what I would use that gift card on! I went to Central Market and bought the best potatoes, brisket, jelly donuts that I could find. I finally got home and after my cleaning chores were done, David and I went to the kitchen and prepared to make the best Balentine Hanukkah Dinner together. He took care of the brisket with spices, sauce and all while I attempted to make Potato Latkahs. Latkah is not easy to make at all! I had to peel the potatoes first, then grab a grater and break down the potato down to a watery mush. After all the hard work we put all the ingredients needed into a big bowl and dropped a big scoop of this Potato Mush in to a pan of hot oil, and it cooked. :) Next thing we knew we had a plate full of Latkahs! Just in time too, since the Challah bread and brisket were both done cooking at the same time.When we finally sat down for dinner, I reminded my wonderfully handsome husband that he shouldn't eat too much because after dinner were some yummy jelly donuts waiting for us. I held back my hunger and ate til I was very happy with my whole meal. My husband on the other hand, completely forgot about dessert. He ended up so full on our Hanukkah dinner, there was no room left for our Hanukkah dessert. I think after 30 minutes he wanted to give it a try, and I made some coffee to enjoy a nice end to a wonderful day.
For this being our first Hanukkah together, I think it was the better then I could ever think of. I remember the day David told me he was Jewish. He sat me down in the middle of our first date and said he had to tell me something important. I was so nervous it was going to be something crazy, like he wasn't allowed to live 100 ft near a school, but no. David pulled out a chain around his neck to show me the Star of David. He was Jewish, and made such a big deal about it, like it was something I would break up with him over. Of course being me, I could only be happy that I met someone that found a way to bring him to a better peace in his life. I was also happy that I had met a man that had the same personal views of Christianity. Since, I at the time has been practicing Buddhism, I was and am happy to be with someone that we can continue to grow together, without the argument of religion. So celebrating Hanukkah was a great way to learn more about each other and grow together. We loved it so much, we will definitely be celebrating the Hanukkah Joy next year! Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment