Friday, November 27, 2009

A Very Happy Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is always a holiday where for the most part, I never know what to expect. I have been so excited over the past few weeks for this upcoming Thanksgiving and I had a feeling in my heart that it would be the best one yet. David and I have been smiling and counting down the days to come in to our Home Town. David's mom even got so excited she had a layout plan of the house and where everyone would sleep. On Wednesday afternoon we finally left Austin, after my day and a half of running around do laundry, cleaning and getting everything ready for the people that would be Dog/House sitting for us. (Thanks Pata, Lucy and Cameron!) So we left Austin with the truck packed up and ready to go, and David even had his new Google application for his phone that told him turn by turn directions, even though we have done that drive over 100 times already. It ended up taking almost 2 hours to get to David's parents house where it would usually take an hour. We had dinner reservations at 6pm and of course because of me, we were just a tad little late. We got to have dinner with David's little brother Ben, his Grandparents, his Parents, and his aunt and uncle, Allison and Tony. It was a great night of food, catching up and maybe a shared bottle or two of wine. We finished our dinner and got to meet up with the friend that introduced David and I to each other. Cara, my wonderful friend and maid of honor. We had a great night of catching up and having a drink or two at the bar that David and I met, which is now call 'The Gatsby'. After midnight I started to feel myself turning into a pumpkin, so we paid our tab and headed home. The best surprise of the night is that when we got home, David's cousins Beth and Lisa had arrived sometime right before we got home. The walkway that is right in the middle of the house was filled with laughter, smiles, hugs and a little bit of screams from excitement. Catching up with Lisa and Beth was so great that even David's mom stayed up til almost 2 am! It was so great to see that everyone had been doing great. We finally found our way to our bedroom and passed out since we were going to have to wake up early for a busy day of Thanksgiving.
On Thursday Morning I woke up to the chitter-chatter of little kids running around the house and decided I would wake before David so he could get a little extra sleep and I went downstairs and hula hooped in the front yard to get some exercise in before a full feast day of turkey and stuffing. I took a shower, got all ready and left David's parents house around 11 which was the exact time I told my mom we would be at her house. We got there a little earlier than everyone else which resulted in her putting me to work like the child slave I am. She got everything done in time right when everyone finally showed up. Her Thanksgiving dinners are always the best ever! From my grandmother's stuffing all the way to the green been casserole. Everything you could think of is there to stuff your face with. I ended up being so full from the one plate of food that I ate, I couldn't even enjoy any dessert what so ever. David and I sat around with family and friends and watched some football and just talked and talked. We had such a great time at my Moms. :)
We had to hurry and head off to Allison and Tony's since that is where the next Thanksgiving dinner was. We got there just in time to enjoy hanging out with all the family, listening to good music and wonderful bottles of wine. I even brought out my Hula Hoops for the kids, which ended up being a huge hit! Everyone loved it and everyone got to swing it around their hips a time or two. Even the little little ones got to give it a try. I was so excited and happy to see it go so well.
After a drink or two the adults went out and gave it a try for their selves! We had such a great time that involved laughing, hooping, and wonderful conversation. We finally got to eat our yummy Thanksgiving dinner around 6 or 7 and everyone had a full plate! After dinner we just sat around and let out tummys settle everything that we ate and just kept talking. I know it sounds like all we did was talk, but this is the Balentine Family and we havent caught up like this in forever. The best part of the night is when Bruce brought everyone to the main room and said he wanted us to listen to something. He has made a CD of Doug singing and it really was the greatest thing to have heard. We lost him this past year and we miss him everyday and it was so great to have him part of our Thanksgiving Dinner. He even found another song where Cathy (our cousins Lisa and Leanna's mother who passed away a long time ago) singing with David's dad playing music in the background. This entire family is very musically talented and is not afraid to belt out a song or two.

So today is Friday and we are all sitting around the kitchen still talking, laughing and having a great time. I am so thankful this year for such a great husband, beautiful happy dogs, such a great family and my new family. Every year keeps getting better and I can't wait for our next Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving to your family from ours.
- The Balentines

No comments:

Post a Comment