Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ella's New Haircut!



Ella has been growing like a Texas weed! She will be 1 year old on March 27th, and time has flown by so quickly since when we first got her. Sometimes I sit and look through her pictures of her growing up. I remember when we first got her, she immediately started running the house. We have done training and have worked with her diligently to listen and follow the rules. She really does a good job for the most part. But when she gets too excited there is really no hope of getting her to listen and that is when we place enforcement of the rules. As she has been growing, so has her hair. This little ball of fur that we once had has taken shape of a dog with a very shaggy hairstyle that can get very dirty, very quickly. After many baths and constantly brushing this unmanageable fur I realized it was time to get her a haircut. I have given Copland a haircut before, and to be honest it was horrible. I didn't think it would be that hard to give a dog a hair cut, and assumed that no one would even notice a bad haircut on a dog, because it's a dog with dog hair. Little did I know how bad a haircut can actually turn out, and how it can actually affect an animal's self esteem. After I gave Copland a haircut, he would not keep eye contact with anyone for the next couple of days, and constantly hid away from us. After that mistake I realized the a job like this would be best left for the professionals.
I took Ella to the groomers and hoped things would end well. I decided to go all out and get the full grooming with the haircut and was told she would be ready within 2 hours. I dropped her off and came back at exactly 2 hours, only to find out that she did not like the industrial blow dryers and had an issue with that. I had to come back and hour later, and that is when she was ready. I couldn't believe my eyes and it felt like I was seeing a new dog. Until I saw that little excited face, and the dog that would listen, but pay attention to enforcement. I was a little nervous to see how David would interact with this new puppy look. He was honestly so blown away about how she once again looks like a puppy before her 1st birthday. I really have enjoyed getting this new haircut for her and plan to continue through out the shave for her and Copland- especially during the summer. Texas heat is just way too hot to deal with an undercoat. So now we have our fashionable puppies with their fashionable haircuts and same old attitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment